Friday, November 17, 2017

What Friendship Actually Looks Like

Andrea, Becky, Me, Kayce. Friends are weird together. 
What friendship actually looks like...

Friendship is this word we throw out there casually when it's really one of the most important concepts in the human condition. You can write volumes about what friendship should be, could be, might be, but when you really know and have true friends you recognize it immediately.

Here are some examples:


Friends have common experiences. 
So, in order to come into my house you have to get an active flu shot, right? Well, my friend, Becky, and her daughter, Abby are some of our closest friends. My kids call her Aunt Becky. They went into our local pharmacy and asked to get flu shots. The person behind the counter asked if they were from our school--a local, small private Christian school. When Beck and Abby confirmed, the pharmacist said they only had one shot left because CCA students and staff had been in and depleted the stock in just a few days. That is what friendship looks like.

Becky and Carl who are honorary Aunt and Uncle. 
   Speaking of Aunt Becky and Uncle Carl...today they are driving two plus hours from home to watch a series of basketball games featuring Naynuh and Carter--Becky and Carl don't have child playing in the games or even in the school right now. They are driving to Columbus, Mississippi to make sure my kids have someone there to cheer and get ice cream after. That is what friendship looks like.

Aunt KK sleeping with Elise while I get prescriptions filled. 
Some friends Elise hasn't been close to in awhile due to logistics and circumstances have come to the house to visit before chemo knowing it would be harder to do so afterwards. It's been surprising who has shown up (and equally surprising who has not).  Friends inconvenience themselves for others.  This is what friendship looks like.

This is my friend, Kayce. She has known my kids since they were babies. She is one of my longest standing heart friends. So, KK came up here so that she could see Elise, bring Sonic, and basically let me run errands in this hospital. I had to go to another building to the pharmacy and pick up meds and meet with someone to explain them to me. I needed to pick up lunch. She sat with E while I did those things, because she loves E and she loves me.  That is what friendship looks like.

While I've been at the hospital, our family friend Martie brought like the entire Sam's sale flyer to my house. Toilet paper, cereal, paper towels, snacks, granola bars, a case of coffee, paper plates and cups, and on and on. I don't know how she even fit all of that into her car. That is what friendship looks like.

Friendship has a lot of faces. I have been blessed beyond all measure with all of the people who have come into my life and stayed when things got real.

There are fifty other people I could put on this list, so if you didn't make the blog it doesn't mean we aren't friends, it means I ran out of time and space.  So many people have offered to help, sent things, shown up to do things, brought food, offered to help with kids and school, and a million other things. Because after your relationship with Christ, how you resolve your interpersonal relationships is probably the most important thing you can learn to manage. I hope that you are a good friend and that you have a friend to lean on when things are hairy. I can't imagine my life without heart friends. I wish you the same.

Charlotte &
the entire Fun Bus

#BigEkickingtheBigC
#funbus
#funbusdetour
#5shorties
#andstillirise



No comments: