Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Skinny 11-12-17

Elise has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

We have surgery again Monday, November 13 to install a port and take a bone marrow sample to test.

We have PET scan, CT scan, X-Ray, blood work, and consultation Tuesday, November 14th.

We begin chemotherapy late this week.

Interesting Observations:

1.) The best message of comfort I have received thus far was from an atheist.  (I'll let that just sit right there for a few.)

2.) You do, in fact, deserve a cape for a cancer diagnosis. (Capes and doughnuts make almost everything better.)

3.) Bringing a girl with cancer Sonic is like better than $1,000.  (Not kidding.) Just showing up is half the battle.

4.) Hearing your child has cancer suddenly brings what is important and what doesn't mean jack crap into laser-like focus. I can assure you I don't care what you think about me, my husband, or my kids. I don't care who said what or did what or thinks what. Don't care. At all. Go on with your bad self.

A Brief List of Things I Also Don't Care About Anymore: 
wearing make up. 
leaves on the lawn. 
what's for dinner. 
the interior of my car. 
having 'alone' time. 
if I'm wearing fall or summer clothing or a mixture of both.
dishes in the sink. 
who spilled the drink.
what's on TV.
popcorn being thrown in the living room. (we own a vacuum.) 
how loud the kids are. (wait, I never cared about that one.)  
what your neighbor did to you. 
who you are mad at. 
who is mad at you. 
who is mad at me. 
what my child made on the spelling test.
what your child made on the spelling test.
if there is a spelling test.
what your cancer was like. 
what your best friend's sister's cousin's cancer was like. 
statistics about cancer.
your feelings. 

5.) People who love you show it in practical ways.

6.) God loves me. He totally loves me. What Satan intended for evil will be used to further the Kingdom. God has entrusted us with an amazing burden. He's fully expecting the Johnson Family to Job, and I'm all about proving God right. (Jesus People, give me an 'amen'.)

7.) For people who struggle to graciously receive help, the only way you're getting into the inner sanctum is to insist. Just show up with the food. Don't ask what you can do. They will ALWAYS, ALWAYS say, "nothing."

8.) Elaina, Carter, Lilly, Steve, and Nana all still have lives. Don't forget when you are getting the Big E update to ask how they are doing too.

9.) Warning: I'm not putting on a bra if you pop in at my house. (If you call first it's still a 50/50.)

10.) Sometimes you don't have to say or do anything. Just being there is enough.

11.) People keep asking me how they can help. I don't know what to say. I wish I knew what to say. I should probably make a list of things that I can spew out on cue, but I can't think right now. Ask my best friends. They can probably advise you like a million times better than I can anyway.

So, until I come up with a list, pray like you mean it.

Psalm 46
Psalm 9:9
#andstillirise
#gangsterstrong
#eliseisagangster
#djejkickingcancerlikeaboss



No comments: