Saturday, November 18, 2017

11-18-17 Because Sometimes You Get the Short Straw


Morning meds, breakfast
Had a good Friday and Saturday in the hospital. While we are eager to go home, there is so much information that is new and overwhelming and even a little frightening.

Here's a new one: if she runs a fever of 100.5 or more it's an emergency. If she runs a fever of 101, get in the car and drive straight to an emergency room. I bought like a NASA-approved thermometer. I might be able to take her temperature from the next room. (That's freaking me out, since I'm a "rub some dirt on it" mom.)

The food has been good here, she just hasn't really felt like eating it. (I have never in my life understood bringing someone who is nauseated sausage and eggs. Like really?)

The last strawberry yogurt! Whoot! 
They have a really good little sandwich shop on second floor where I've bought her snacks and made-to-order meals. Last night she got a turkey and Swiss and ate a little less than half at 9:00 p.m. We counted that a victory since that's all she'd eaten since morning. And this morning she wanted yogurt. Lucky for her, there was exactly one strawberry yogurt in the case. (God loves us.)

If things go well, we should roll by late afternoon/early evening.

Chaplain came by Friday afternoon and had a really long, lovely conversation with E. Pulled up the chair and stayed in the still just letting her talk about what is happening to her. That was revealing and beautiful. It made me beyond proud to hear her tell the man that she knows who she is, what she believes, and that she's comfortable admitting she doesn't know how she feels sometimes and isn't afraid to express her true feelings when she figures it out. She said some interesting things that I am sure will become a longer, more detailed post at some point when she gets ready to share.

One thing that really stood out (that I have permission to share) is that she is thankful that out of everyone in our house it was her. She said she didn't want it to be Carter, because it would steal basketball from him and the season has just begun. She got to finish volleyball season and even go to the all-star team at the end which was a great honor and she got to finish well. So, better her than Carter.

She didn't want it to be Lilly because she's had enough hospital time to last her whole life and wouldn't understand everything happening to her. So, better her than Lilly.

She said she didn't think Elaina physically or emotionally could handle it because of how tender-hearted she is. E also added that Elaina is uniquely suited to taking care of the other people in the house much better than Elise could if the roles were reversed. So, better her than Elaina.

\Deli sandwich at 9:00 p.m.
She said Nana isn't as young as the first time she faced cancer and wouldn't have near the odds we have now. So, better her than Nana.

She said, "Daddy, well the elbow explains why not Daddy." (I laughed out loud listening to her tell the chaplain that one.) So, better her than Steve.

And me? I chimed in that I would rather it be me a thousand times over. She shook her head, serious, studied, and said, "No, never you. Because the entire house, the school, the world would stop turning if this were you." (Perhaps one of the greatest compliments of my life.) (Not true, but I was honored to hear that she feels that way.)

Elise thinks she is the best person to face this battle.  She is the one best equipped to manage this present trial.

We thank everyone for the cards, gifts, texts, phone calls, donations, Facetime calls, emails, smoke signals, visits, and on and on. I've thought a thousand times I can't imagine going through something like this without a support system. We have so many wonderful people in our lives that it's overwhelming and humbling.

I thank God for all of you!

The Big Window at the end of the hall, 8th floor. 






2 comments:

Caroline said...

What an amazing expression of the circumstances in which your family finds itself! I am in awe of Elise’s “better me than...other family members”...she’s got a profound grip on reality and a huge dose of love for each family member! Y’all are in my thoughts and prayers big time! Hugs from NC!

Unknown said...

As I'm sitting here reading Elise's comments, I can't stop the tears. Just like everyone else, I hate the big C, and it's not fair that someone as young as Elise should be going through it. But it's amazaing to see her analyze exactly WHY it is her. I don't see any "Why me, Lord" coming from this strong, brave young woman. I can already see how God is going to use this to draw others to Him. Ally and I discuss Elise every day. You are on our prayer list at church and my church takes prayer requests seriouly. Thank you so much for giving us updates.