Saturday, November 25, 2017

We do Make a Beautiful Couple


I can see why they thought we are a couple. We look fabulous!
Okay, funny anecdote in the hospital...

While Elise was admitted and receiving chemo a research assistant with UAB came into the room to get permission to include E in a study. It was her first time in the hospital room and meeting us.  Kayce was there visiting. She and I were sitting on the same side of the hospital bed whispering, because E was sleeping. The lady began speaking to us about the benefits of the study and why E should be included. She addressed Kayce and I equally, looking back and forth between us. It was clear that the nurse thought we were a couple based on the way she was speaking to us.
Aunt KK and Big E

Kayce and I exchanged a look, then KK pointed at me and said, "She's the mom. I'm just the friend."

The nurse continued to address Kayce about this study they wanted us to participate in at UAB.

Three or four more sentences into her spiel, I waved my hand, pointed at myself and said, "Hey, over here. I'm the mom." While KK simultaneously pointed at me and said, "I'm not the mom--that's the mom."

Then I added (to Kayce), "Not that I don't find you attractive. If I were going to be a lesbian, you're at the top of the list, Kayce, (back to lady) but this isn't our daughter, it's my daughter, so you should probably give me the study info since she doesn't live with me and isn't going home with me or Elise."

Door closed behind the assistant and I said, "So, that's probably not the first or last time we've been mistaken for lesbians or a couple."

"Of course not. Duh."
Aunt KK and Naynuh
Ahem.

#bestfriends
#BigEkickingtheBigC
#gangsterstrong
#5shorties
#funbus
#funbusdetour



No comments: