Saturday, November 3, 2007

Repeat

My favorite blog to read is www.mom2my6pack.blogspot.com. The chick who writes this, Dawn, is my age with 6 kids and I just love reading her thoughts. I told her once that she was living a mirror life in a parallel universe, she just got to have the one in the north with six kids and I got the one in the south with four kids. :-) So, I posted this as a comment to one of her posts about fighting boredom.

(And as a side note, at the bottom of each post on here, there is a section you can click called "comments" where you can leave, well, comments and notes about the post. Feel free. :-)

**************************************************************************

If the "I'm Bored" statement comes out of a mouth at my house, the No Boredom Fairy makes an appearance passing out random terrible chores until the boredom spell passes. (It's a dirty trick, but someone has to be the Mother Bear.)

So, jot down a list of Anti-Boredom chores and post it on the door of the bedroom where you want to escape for some peace and quiet. The list should be titled: Things I Will Make You Do If You Tell Me You Are Bored.

For example:

1) Identify the Species Game: Scrub out the bottoms of the bathroom trashcans and identify what you find there. (Because anyone with kids knows that the bathroom trashcan is like a safe haven for bizarre, colorful, half-chewed things that are permenently attached to the bottom surface for no known reason.)

2) Reverse Treasure Hunt: Get a broom and sweep everything out from under your bed into a pile and figure out where it goes. (Warning: this one can easily go wrong when said child leaves the pile and you have to choose to either pick it up yourself or sweep it back under the bed and erase the memory from your brain.)

3) Race to Find Your Clothes: dump those ten loads of clean but unfolded laundry on the bed and have the kids race to put their own clothes into piles. Tell them after they finish that everyone's a winner and gets to put away the socks and underwear as the grand prize.

Trust me. The No Boredom Fairy always works. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha. :-)

2 comments:

Speck said...

OK, Mother Bear, I'll de-lurk and leave a comment.

I stumbled onto your blog by clicking on the Next Random Blog link. I read a few posts and loved your sense of humor and writing style. I ended up reading through just about all the archived posts.

I am absolutely charmed by little Lily, "The Terror" as you call her. She seems to be a real free spirit. I can appreciate a free-spirited kid, especially one exhibiting those tendencies as young as The Terror. She's going to grow up to be one amazing individual.

However, I really, really, really appreciate the fact that she lives at your house and not mine! (big grin) She's probably a handful!

Excellent blog, excellent stories, Mother Bear. Thanks for sharing!

The Mother Bear said...

Well, thank you very much! I crack myself up on a regular basis, but have no clue why I feel compelled to leave all of this mess out in public. Barney Fife would call it a "compellshun". :-) Thank you for your sweet comments. I just posted several rants, and there's always more mundane stuff happening at my house on a regular basis, so come back often. lol

You are right, Lily is absolutely a free spirit. Also driving me insane, but in the best possible way. I wouldn't trade her for fifty "easy" kids.

Blessings to you and yours!
~The Mother Bear