Thursday, January 14, 2016

Jesus and the "G" Word.

Not a single firearm on the show. Dozens of people brutally
murdered every week. 
What did Jesus actually say about being armed? 

Luke 11:21 "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  

Being armed isn't the problem. Stop pretending it is. Hating other human beings is the problem. Evil is the problem. And sin in the world is the problem. 

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" 

Every single person who watches The Walking Dead and Into the Badlands ought to understand both of those concepts clear as a bell. It isn't the weapon. It's the wielder. Every. Single. Time.


Show motto: Save the bullets; use a knife. 
I live in a very rural area in the county not in a city. I am 30-45 minutes away from first responders--police, fire, and ambulance. On any given night there are two deputies on patrol in a county that is 701 square miles with approximately 40,000 residents. If someone breaks into my house, and the two deputies are already busy or on the other side of the county it could be even longer than 30 minutes.

We have a massive drug problem in the county. Meth is our number one manufactured item. I am surrounded by desperately poor people.

Can you even begin to comprehend how long 30 minutes is if someone is coming into your home to do you or your children harm? It's a lifetime.

We have an escape plan for fire, home invasion, and animal attack. (Not even joking--packs of wild dogs roam the countryside--we had a local pastor attacked by pit bulls on his morning run just a week ago. We also see bobcats and coyote regularly.) I have an outdoor dog that will begin barking at you in the yard, but is trained to alert if you approach my house. Her bark sounds as if she is going to eat you alive. And she just might.

And we are armed. And if you approach my door and are a stranger, I have a weapon in my right hand as I ease the door open with my left. And I know how to use them. And my kids know how to use them. And I will shoot you without even thinking twice about it. And I have absolutely no intention of shooting to wound. I'm going to try to kill you.

Because When a strong man is armed he keepeth his palace and his goods are in peace. Jesus said so.




No comments: