Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall Freshen Up

Sometimes it's hard to do the right thing. That's usually how you know it's the Right Thing to Do. And not everyone will love you for doing the right thing. In fact, some folks will really, really not like you for it.

So, for the Christian, the final authority has to be God's Word, not Your Opinion. It's a tough pill to swallow sometimes, since I like being right. (I really like being right.) I want to be right all of the time, but if I can't back it up in Scripture using the Holy Spirit as guide and God the Father as my sounding board through prayer, it's hollow with no substance. I mean, I can call myself the Queen of Persia all I want; calling myself so doesn't make me the queen of anything in reality.

We are called to love one another in God's Word. Saying we love one another means nothing without action. It means that you have to take me, warts and all. You have to tolerate me when I am unlovable. You have to forgive me when I am difficult. And I have to do the same for you. It's what makes us not just church members, but church family.

We also need to remember that we are called to service. If you will spend more time focusing on what God has for you to DO and less time on what others around you are doing (or not doing, as the case may be), I promise that your walk with the Lord will be less stressful, more enjoyable, and more productive. I don't judge Elise's work by Elaina's effort. Each child in my house is judged on his/her individual contribution regardless of the others. It is the same with God. I am held accountable for MY gifts, talents, work, submission, offerings, and devotion to the state of holiness--thank God that I don't have the burden of being responsible for anyone outside of me!

I started examining myself, and as usual, it's been horrifying. Am I as close to God as I ever have been in my life? Am I closer to holiness or further away? Am I diligent in my discipleship and prayer life--as though starving and thirsting for the Word? Am I loving others when they are unlovable? Am I serving and giving the way the Holy Spirit is guiding me? Am I clean and pure in the sight of the Lord? If not, I've got enough shaking the trees in my own backyard to keep me busy for quite some time.

I better get busy now; I've got a lot of cleaning up to do.

No comments: