Sunday, September 18, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Every day you make a thousand little decisions. What to wear, what to eat, whether or not to do your homework/projects, what to read, what shows to watch...

You even make tiny decisions like what kind of make up you buy, what kind of toilet paper you prefer, what kind of gas to put in your car, and what to make for supper.

Sometimes the choices are much, much bigger like who to marry, where to buy a house, what career to choose.

I'm about to make a controversial statement, but I stand by it.

You ARE the sum of your decisions.

I think it's even what Christ meant in scripture when He told Christians that we would know each other by our fruit. If I look at a tree, and I see peaches, it's a safe assumption that it's a peach tree and that the fruit it produces is a direct result of what it IS at its roots. From the most basic point in its genetic structure, it IS a peach tree.

For some folks, life is "happening" to them, like a cosmic accident. They wander around aimlessly, never knowing how they misread so many signs along the way. They blow to and fro with the wind, claiming, "But I didn't know that was going to happen to me." We all knew that was going to happen to you; you just weren't paying attention to your decisions.

Nothing just "happens" to you. Nothing. You made a choice that led you to that moment. Now, sometimes other people's choices impact your life. I'm sure that the grandparents who are raising their grandkids feel this way, but no, they still had a choice to take on that responsibility or to adopt that child out to another family. At some point we have to take responsibility for our actions and lives.

What you choose to do, or choose not to do, will tell others down to your roots who you are and what you believe. If you are a Christian, or claim the name of Christ, I challenge you (just as I challenge myself) to be careful that you are making choices that honor the Lord God, because God is not amused by idle talk. And we will know you by your fruit.