Friday, April 24, 2020

Black Helicopter

I’m low key sort of morphing into a black helicopter person. Probably because I watch as little news coverage as humanly possible while still living on the planet, and after four weeks at home with forced news crammed down my news feed...y’all, something’s up. 

I’ve told my kids a thousand times that when something feels funny, smells funny, acts funny that “gut feeling” you get is the most primal, important thing a person has in his/her arsenal. (Saved people call this the Holy Spirit.), and right now my meter is pinging that everything isn’t right in these present circumstances. I’m a natural skeptic, but this fear mongering is about to whiz me off in a righteous way.

Some of the best parts of being a Christian and being an American are that you don’t get to tell me what to do, where to go, or how to behave until it directly infringes on someone else’s rights. My rights literally end where yours begin. So, if you want to isolate, knock yourself out. But stop trying to dictate the actions of all of the people all of the time. Because it’s a fine line before we begin meddling in other areas the government believes is “for your own good.”  

For example: why can't we tell fat people they HAVE to exercise for the overall quality of life and cost of healthcare for the whole. Or what they can and can't buy to eat. Because it's better for the whole. It's easily justified on paper and in conversation, but we've proven over and over than free will is better even if it costs a society something when people are irresponsible. 

It's kind of like the anti-vaccination crowd (which I consider to be grossly negligent parenting on every level). Even though I vehemently disagree with not vaccinating your kids, I do NOT believe that you should be forced to vaccinate your kids. It's your right as the parent to make good decisions and even bad ones sometimes. I don't believe this should be mandated, even though there are arguments made that it's better to insist on vaccinations for the betterment of the whole.

Here's another point--if we are REALLY sketched out about Corona spread--shouldn't the very first thing to shut down be food service? None of those workers who have served us through a window drive thru have had on masks. And the gloves they are wearing touched my money and then my burger wrapper, food bag, drink, etc., which are all surfaces the virus can live on for days. I can't think of another place where you are more likely to get infected than through prepared food. The people cooking, cleaning, handing the food out, handling the money--it's like a germ factory. This should have been shut down FIRST based on the size and scope of danger being reported. The Belk or Macy's is FAR less dangerous to my health than the McDonald's drive thru when considering the risk of germ exposure in restaurants. (Feels funny, smells funny, acts funny)

Something just doesn't add up. Now, go look up "herd immunity" and viruses, but be prepared to fall down a very dark research hole. You're at home on state-enforced lock down, so you should have plenty of time to research yourself.

Based on what I’m reading on the feed here, I think some people are confused. Everyone does understand that “flattening the curve” means that you are going to be exposed to corona eventually, right? The quarantine wasn’t to wait it out until it vanishes. The government/healthcare system just didn’t want everyone exposed on the same Tuesday, because then it’s a problem based only on volume and treatment. It’s a virus. It doesn’t magically disappear no matter how long the quarantine. Now that it’s in the world, it’s in the world. Not only that, but it’s mutating to defend itself—just like the flu and chicken pox. The second you go out again you are at risk of ALL germs—just like on a normal day.

I'll sit in my house like a good state hostage, but know this--the Spring Breakers we crucified for going down to the beaches for spring break were acting like straight up Americans. Party on, Garth. Party on, Wayne. 'Merica. Open business and public areas beginning immediately over a two-or-three-week period. Wash your hands. Social distance. Quarantine if you are afraid or in the danger demographic. Carry on.





No comments: