Wednesday, May 22, 2019

LESBIANS *GASP*

Well, no one ever has to guess how I feel about anything, since I just put it all out there on the line.
The controversial "promposal". 
So, I wanted to publicly address something that happened two years ago that was so ridiculous I can't even believe I'm going to make a post about it, but here it is. I just can't let some things roll on and this happens to be one of them. I've waited until the time was right to discuss, and that time for me is right now.

Why are Christ's followers so bent on being insanely judgmental about every one around them? I am a professing and practicing Christian for 25 years now, and I just don't get it. I really don't. Why can't you just stay in your own lane and run your own game? Seriously? Everything isn't your business. 

At our school we host a banquet instead of a prom (really semantics). Elise and Kim were the only two girls going to this dinner without dates. (Both were asked by multiple boys who were just not options for a wide variety of reasons.) 

We prom-ed the fire out of our photo shoot

They were simply making a joke out of the promposal stuff going around on the Internet by "going together" so they won't be the only "wall flowers."  (The idea of Kim or Elise being wallflowers is its own inside joke. As if.) 

The entire junior class and some of the senior class helped Elise pull the joke 'promposal' off on Kim. They filmed it. They played music on a boom box held up in the air as an homage to Say Anything. They laughed and joked and were highly amused. I was in the room when it happened. It was desperately funny and actually sort of sweet.

I'm sick and tired of everything in our culture being sexualized. 

I was incredibly close to my girlfriends in high school. In fact, I went to my senior prom with another girl and a boy between us in what could have appeared to be a poly-amorous sister wife thing. (Really, we were just awesome like that.) I wasn't dating or sleeping with either of those people. We were FRIENDS. Perhaps it's a new concept for some of you. (And we had a brilliant time that night!)
Yup. We went there.
So, here's a newsflash, my DAUGHTER of whom I am abundantly proud, went to the banquet with a GIRL who is a FRIEND. For Fun. Because that's what friends do. 

Elise Johnson is not a lesbian. 
Kimberly Hagler is not a lesbian. 
They were not a couple. 
They were not dating. 

Then fast forward six months later and we had cancer--Elise went completely bald due to chemotherapy (which saved her life), and when the little hair follicles started growing back, people assumed SIMPLY from her HAIRDO that she was a lesbian. What the heck? We had people in public places literally glare and gossip because her hair was short. (I thought stories gay people told about being shunned in public were largely exaggerated to make heterosexuals look like jackasses. Wrong. It happened. I heard and saw it myself.)

And it still happened all during her first year in college simply because she had short hair. (THAT WAS FREAKING GROWING BACK FROM CANCER!!!) This was the single weirdest thing ever. Who decided that all women with short hair are gay? What the crap? Even if she had been a lesbian, that despicable, evil, rude, judgmental behavior made me want to jack slap some folks in public. What is wrong with people?

Here’s another truth that might be hard for super judgy pants people to fully grasp in its simplicity: if my daughter (or son for that matter) ever decided that she is a homosexual, I will love her the same way I do right now—completely, irrationally, unconditionally, overwhelmingly, without a single qualm or hesitation, because there is absolutely nothing that can separate my child from my love. Certainly not something as ridiculous as who she loves or does not love. 

We took photos of the girls in the junior class
and then of the boys in the junior class. There are
only two boys:Carter and Liam. 
We posed in front of the chapel
at American Village. 
Because MY LOVE for my child should NOT be CONDITIONAL or it isn't LOVE at all. It's emotional blackmail. "I'll love you if..."

Um, no. I will just love you exactly the way you are. The end. 

The argument that it’s sin or isn't sin is completely moot. It makes absolutely no difference if you think it is or it isn’t.  If I stopped trafficking with every person in my life who “sinned” (perceived or real) EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU WOULD HAVE TO GO.  Because all the people in the entire known universe are in sin. ALL OF THEM!!!!!

So, before you call the school all upset and tattle on a child for something that was a complete joke, or start making a spiritual mountain out of a funny little molehill, or you gossip about how someone looks or appears to be, check yourselves.  That casting stones business is painful when it rolls the other way, and I assure you that it will roll back on you.

Carter and Liam posed in front of the chapel
in their boutonnieres, and the comment was made that
they look a little bit like they are a couple getting married. 
God thinks Irony is hilarious as a manifestation of the reaping and sowing principle. You might get to experience having an actual lesbian daughter or homosexual son, and we’ll all get a front row seat to view your Christ walk in living color. Everyone will get to see what your love actually looks like. 😘 Good luck with that, Judgy Pants. 

Hey, Elise? 
Hey, Kim?  
Party on, Garth. 
Party on, Wayne. 
I paid for the matching corsages. 
And we took a bunch of really funny photos too. 
Because FUN BUS.

Carter said, "Which one of us is the girl?"
Liam responded, "Dude, you are in the pink suit; you are SOOOO the girl in this relationship." And
the photographs continued right on. Because it was funny. And is still funny. And will be funny
tomorrow. And if one of them is gay it's still funny, because it was unintentional and sometimes humor is like that.
In fact, the photos got much better. after they decided it was their wedding day. Then there was an entire conversation about Carter's pants and if they were really more Jonas Brothers tight vs fashion-forward modern menswear. 
Probably not gay, although the verdict is still out. We will keep you posted.





No comments: