Monday, April 4, 2011

Not Preaching, but a Second Cousin by Marriage

I was invited to speak at North Shelby Baptist Church a couple of months ago. Basically, I took the stage and yelled at them about service (or lack thereof) for 45 minutes, and now I can't stop getting phone calls to come yell at people in this church or that church. Evidently, people want me to yell at their women too, which is all fine and good, but there's this one little problem.

See, I've been doing this Andy Stanley study about getting more margin in my professional life--having more time to devote to the things that I am actually good at instead of flailing around doing things that don't add to my personal "bottom line". In order to do this, I've been saying 'no' a whole lot more, and clearing my personal time out to have more rest. This is not going along with the whole "come yell at our people" offers that keep pouring in.
What's a girl to do?

One thing has become abundantly clear to me in this life: Christian people are tired of having their ears tickled. They are tired of eating pablum. They want to dive deep in the Word and hear the truth of God, even if it's personally uncomfortably. Now, it doesn't hurt that I'm sort of funny while yelling. (Folks will tolerate a whole bunch of truth if it's funny and said in love.)

So, if you wanna come hear me say some stuff this spring or summer (God only know why you'd want to do that, but here it is anyway):

April 30th Alabaster First Baptist Tablescapes "Seasoned for the Journey".205-663-3531 for tickets

May 7th Bluff Park United Methodist Church Tablescapes and Ladies Day Out "Friendship" 205-822-0910 tickets are $15.00 and include worship, snacks, workshops, and luncheon. Party starts at 8:30 with table viewing (I speak during lunch at 11:30)

May 9th Open Door Baptist, Tuscaloosa 6:00 p.m. Banquet  "Following God's Will" 205-349-1580 for tickets
 
July 23rd First Baptist Sylacauga, brunch event. More info to come.

No comments: